I thought the best way to write a post about the summer was with a country song in mind. The title from this post is taken by the optimistic and sunny – can a song be sunny? – Long Hot Summer by Keith Urban and it never fails to remember me how awesome summers can be.
Things have been a little bit quiet over here because I allowed myself the luxury of spending the last 15 days of June doing whatever it felt right at the time. I am already done with my M.A and all the paperwork for my PhD until August so, basically these are the things that are making this one of the best summers in a while. I guess it has to do with a healthy combination of balancing things to do and knowing that you have a fair amount of free time and the possibility to enjoy yourself. So, there are the things that have happened, have planned to happen or just look like great ideas:
- There are the books that I would love to read this summer although I realize that it is a pretty ambitious list.
- I have started to do some research on crime fiction for my PhD.
- I have taken up running and it feels amazing. The running shoes my parents bought me for my grades do help, though.
- The puppy is teaching me go and fetch instead of the other way round. But don’t we enjoy running in the sun together!!
- I discovered rice and soy ice-cream at a local store and I’m in awe. They taste the same diary ice cream does, but they don’t make me sick.
- I would love to do some creative writing this summer. Let’s see how it goes.
- There are a lot of crime TV shows that I should watch and that I’m slowly getting and watching. Right now I am living in Gant with Detective Hannah Maes and I love her (Code 37). If you have any suggestions, please let me know! I need to watch an immense amount of TV a day to remain sane.
- I discovered this collection of free articles by Routledge via Sarah Ward and I can’t wait to read them all. Be sure to check them before December 2014.
What have you planned for this summer? :)